Thursday, March 12, 2009

WOMEN BEYOND BOUNDARIES

Women's March

Compiled by Jasleen Kaur Gupta, Ruchika Vyas, Soumi Das

We celebrate this entire month with activities and fun events exclusively for women
Women's Treat, Sunday, March 22 Men from all walks of life can participate in this fun filled evening at BJN Banquets while their wives can kick back and relax. Chef Sanjeev Kapoor will be present to make sure the evening is all spicy, garnished and piping hot!
Women's Drive, Sunday, March 29 A car rally that will see women take on the wheels confidently from Bandra Kurla Complex to Lavasa. The Car Rally aims at raising funds and awareness for Women's Cancer. The initiative is being supported by the Women's Cancer Initiative—Tata Memorial Hospital.
Women's Takeoff, Friday, March 20 Once in a lifetime opportunity for women to experience a ride on the Mumbai skies by Yash Air. Women can register via SMS 58888 and win invites for self and one more important woman in her life. Twenty lucky winners and their friends will get an opportunity to ride a private plane.
Women Set Sail, Saturday, March 21 Aquasail welcomes 20 lucky women and their lady friends to sail away for an hour, beginning from the Gateway of India. Women can register via SMS 58888 and win invites for self and one lady friend for a thrilling experience.

Tips on how women can deal with socio-economic hurdles Women must look after themselves without feeling guilty in any way–physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually. I strongly recommend all women to devote at least half-anhour of uninterrupted time for themselves. Reflecting and relaxing is extremely essential. You can choose to meditate, do yoga or exercise. You start connecting to yourself and find answers on your own to a large extent.

    If you are going through stress, depression or anxiety, firstly, recognise it and become aware, and don't hesitate to ask for help. If it's a mild problem then talk to friends, or take time off like short vacations to clear your mind. If it's very serious and bordering on something that is affecting your life, then there is no shame in seeking help, as most psychological problems are treatable.
    Do not go on guilt trips! Stand up for what you believe in and be assertive, don't fight or be aggressive. There may be areas you need to compromise in, but ensure not to make a big compromise; look at the broader picture. Most importantly, look after yourself and educate yourself. Don't give in to emotional pressures. If we have to bring about a change, it needs to start from us.

Naina Lal Kidwai, Group General Manager and Country Head, India, HSBC
From being a Harvard University business graduate to becoming the Country Head of HSBC, how has the journey been so far?
The journey has been eventful, challenging and exciting. I have learnt a great deal at every stage in my career—from my bosses, colleagues and juniors. And now, being a global citizen has no doubt shaped and reshaped my thoughts, perspectives and opinions. I have also been able to highlight India's
successes on the global stage.
Did you face obstacles in rising up the corporate hierarchy because you were a woman?
No, I did not face any obstacles but I did believe that I had to be better than a male colleague to be considered for the same position. But once you prove your worth, gender ceases to be an issue. The board - room has now become more accepting of per
formance and quality of inputs, irrespective of gender, nationality and race.
Would you call today's woman 'a change agent' for society?
Women have always been change agents for society. The phrase 'Educate a man, educate a person, educate a woman, educate a family' could not have been more aptly put.
What, according to you, is still lacking from the social
infrastructural aspect that is likely to prevent Indian women from dreaming big?
Better access to social infrastructure like education, health, security and knowledge of their rights as citizens, will help Indian women realise their dreams and in turn contribute to the country and its economy.
Where do you think Indian women appear in the global arena?
I believe urban middle-class Indian women are best placed to work and achieve, as we are among a few countries where home support system allow us to work for a career. It is no surprise that the number of talented women in the workforce is growing in leaps and bounds.


Pooja Shetty-Deora, Joint MD, Walkwater Media
A woman in a male-dominated field—what are the challenges you had to face?
People find it tough to accept women in a leadership role, and I had to deal with negative perceptions which were put to rest by sheer deliverables. I knew that for real respect I had to work twice as hard and I did not get distracted by gender debates.
How has your father, Manmohan Shetty, influenced you?
My father has always encouraged me to take decisions and move on. In case of a bad decision there was a lot to learn, but not taking a decision at all was like not growing. We were brought up in an environ
ment where what we did as people mattered and that shaped my life drastically.
What were the biggest hurdles of your career?
I think leaving Adlabs in October 2007 was a huge challenge for me personally and professionally. The decision to get out eventually proved to be great, as it started our new fledgling company called Walkwater Media. We were also able to restart with a lean and focussed team and could start doing things as per our own vision, rather than being guided by the bureaucratic nature of large organisations.
What are the obstacles that prevent women from
dreaming big?
I think that the problems women face in our country exist at many levels and there can be no simple solution for this subject. Our governments over the years have created several schemes to support an allround development of women, inspite of which we lack adequate schools, heath centres, hygiene facilities and many such basic necessities required for making women self sustainable. Serious efforts, in these areas are needed to see positive results.


Zeba Kohli, Managing Director, Fantasie Chocolates
You chose an unconventional career, what were the reactions you faced ?
I was a science student who took over the family business as there was no one
else who could take over. Our business extends over cold storage and refrigeration, to running Sunville Banquet Halls. The chocolate business has brought out the passionate, fun and lively side of my nature.
Do you think your background has helped you to achieve beyond the conventional expectations?
I think achievement is relative.
I have always set achievable milestones and moved on to the next stage without remorse. I think it is imperative for all women to empower themselves by listening and persevering rather than self pity. But obviously, coming from an educated background has helped me understand life and responsibilities better.


Priya Dutt, Member of Parliament
What are the pros and cons of being a woman in the field of politics?
I have never felt different from anyone in my field of work just because I'm a woman. I attribute that to the way my parents brought me up. The only time I felt I was not being taken seriously was because I was very young and inexperienced.
Did you have to compromise to achieve what you have today?
I don't believe in compromises, I work with priorities. The day I feel I have to compromise with either my work or
my family, I will make a choice. Striking a balance is my greatest challenge, I want to be a good mother, a good wife and a good public representative.
How do you manage your hectic schedule as a responsible politician, wife and a mother?
I schedule my life a lot around my kids. I try and either drop my son to school or pick him up, sometimes he comes to office with me, my little one is just one-yearold. I know the time now will be tough though. Before elections, it always gets very busy, but I know I will manage.
    My husband has been my greatest support and without him I would not
be able to do what I do. If I'm not around, my husband adjusts his schedule to be with the children.
What measures can be taken to aid underprivileged women to gain financial independence?
I think education is the key to empowerment of women. Also setting up vocational training and small-scale industries and encouraging selfhelp groups is important. I always give the example of the Lijjat Papad success story, and wonder why a model like that cannot be replicated. I focus a lot on vocational education in my district, where we impart free computer education and vocational classes for girls.


Reema Nanavaty, Chairperson, SEWA
How can we aid underprivileged women?
Organising rural poor women is the most essential to equip women in their fight against poverty. Along with organising—we found six states in India that work on asset creation—capacity building and access to social security lead to financial independence for these women. It's a process that leads these women out of poverty; it's
their march to independence.
What were the challenges you faced?
It's amazing how cheerful these rural women are even when they don't have grains to cook and water to irrigate their fields! Challenges in my life are simple: one, to balance my work with my family; and two, to be optimistic when good work is pushed aside by greater forces.
What has inspired women across the
globe to push themselves beyond the realms of conformity?
This is what we at SEWA call 'sisterhood'. When a war widow from Afghanistan, who is working with SEWA, meets a widow from Gujarat, both know the shared suffering and also provide the inspiration to go on and move out of poverty. Breaking conformity per-se is of limited value, but breaking conformity to fight poverty is of lasting value.


Devieka Bhojwani, Vice President of the Women's Cancer Initiative, Tata Memorial Hospital
From your association with the Women's Cancer Initiative—Tata Memorial Hospital, what do you think of the way society treats women with cancer in India?
Some years ago, when I developed breast cancer, I realised the lack of knowledge we have about the illness. I have realised that ignorance about the disease leads to patients in India being stigmatised. This is when I decided
to set up my foundation with the primary aim of creating awareness.
Would you call today's woman 'a change agent' of society?
I believe that 'changing India' should be grateful to its women. They are the major buyers, meal-makers, and are the primary
providers of nutrition to the future generation. They are juggling so many roles brilliantly.
Do you think the gap between rural and urban women remains unbridgeable?
We have to ensure that more women in India get educat
ed as only that can bring positive changes. Women in rural India face cases of female infanticide, illiteracy, forced weddings and even dowry related harassment. While we talk about India entering the nuclear age, we must ensure that the Dark Age practice of sati does not take away another life.


Dr. Shamsah Sonawalla, Associate Director of Psychiatry Research Consultant, Jaslok Hospital

0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP