Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Deadly dames of Andheri-Virar local

A group of 25 women who had faced harassment while commuting decided to learn self-defence techniques dressed in their everday clothes; three weeks later the confident women are ready to take on any pervert or robber

BAPU DEEDWANIA

Fed-up of constantly feeling vulnerable while using public transport, a group of 25 women train commuters decided to do something about it. They got together and hired a karate coach to teach them self-defence techniques. What's different about this motley crew, however, is that they all train in the attire they travel in.
    So, thrice a week these women, who commute between Andheri to Virar every day, gather at S M Public High School at Bhayandar to learn self-defence techniques in saris, salwar kameezes and jeans. Their coach is Mukesh Bharti, who usually coaches students at the school.
    Forty-five-year-old Gayatri Singh, who is part of the group, said, "I am here because of something that happened to me recently. I was carrying a bag of vegetables and was on my way to home
when a young boy suddenly snatched my bag and ran away. This happened in broad daylight on a busy street. I also lost by wallet with the bag."
    Mukesh said he saw a valid point in their request. "I coach them in the outfits they wear while commuting. They cannot be expected to wear a uniform and step out.
I am amazed at their enthusiasm and response. To suit their purpose I am coaching them in techniques that they can use effectively for their defence," he said.
HOW IT STARTED
It all started when the group met frequently on the Churchgate-Virar local. Most of them travelled in the sec
ond class compartment and often found themselves in each other's company.
    "From our conversations we figured that most of us had encountered some untoward incident on the train or on the streets. These included chain- and wallet-snatching wallets, pulling of dupattas and perverts touching us," said Mona Agarwal, a resident
of Naughar Road in Bhayendar.
    It may be noted that in the past six months there has been a significant increase in the number of chain-snatching incidents on local trains between Andheri and Virar.
    These ladies then decided that they had to come up with a solution. "We decided to learn self-defence which will come in handy in any situation," said Asha Singh, a resident of Talao Road.
    When they approached the school, the management was more than willing to oblige. Sangeeta Sharma, principal of the school, said, "It is really nice to see them take the initiative to learn how to deal with adverse situation in life."
    The women, who have been training for the last three weeks say that these techniques have raised their confidence levels and they can now take on any robber or pervert.

HEAR THIS ONE

Two months ago I was robbed of a 5-tola gold chain when I got off the train at Bhayandar station. Two men ran past me after pulling my chain and disappeared in a flash. At the class, I am learning specifically how to deal with such cases. — Asha Singh, 40


Last month, when I came out of the bank after withdrawing some cash, two men on a motorcycle snatched my purse and fled. I lodged a police complaint but nothing happened. I have now learnt a technique that can help me fight with robbers on two-wheelers. — Mona Agarwal, 38


A month-and-a-half ago I was on my way to drop my 3-year-old son to school when a pervert pushed me. I grabbed him and started slapping him and people around me gathered to help. I was inspired by the other women and joined their group. — M Manju, 24


MY MAN, YOU'LL BE VERY SARI INDEED!


45-year-old Gayatri Singh learns how to flatten a robber


HOO! Mona Agarwal


HAAH! Asha Singh


HAAI! Poonam Vishwakarma


YAAH! Nikita Agarwal



0 comments:

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP